Thursday, December 9, 2010

Spinach Soup with Gruyere


I found this on thepioneerwoman.com, which is a website I absolutely adore, earlier today, and noted that I had all the ingredients, give or take. I was in need of getting some dinner in my hungry hubby's tummy, and I decided to give it a go. Result--I actually liked it way, way better then I had expected I would. And Logan loved it too. It has a great creamy, fresh, and yet spicy flavor, and it's super easy to make!
Spinach Soup with Gruyere
  • 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
  • 10 ounces, weight Spinach
  • 2 cloves Garlic, Finely Minced
  • 4 Tablespoons Butter
  • ½ whole Medium Onion
  • ¼ cups Flour
  • 5 cups Whole Milk--I used skim, and it turned out great
  • 2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
  • ½ teaspoons Cayenne Pepper (Optional)--Do it.
  • Freshly Ground Black Pepper
  • 4 ounces, weight Gruyere Cheese, Grated (other Cheeses Are Fine)--I used sharp cheddar and it was delicious (where do you even buy gruyere?)

Preparation

In a large skillet, heat olive over over medium heat. Add spinach and garlic and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly, or until wilted. Add spinach to a blender or food processor. Pour in 1/4 cup hot water and pulse until pureed. Set aside.

In a large soup pot, cook onion in butter over medium heat until onions begin to soften. Sprinkle flour over the top and stir to combine. Cook for about 2 minutes, then pour in milk, stirring occasionally. Add salt, pepper, and cayenne and stir to combine. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour in pureed spinach, then cook another 3 to 5 minutes until thickened.

Check seasonings, adding more salt, pepper, or cayenne as needed. Serve in a bowl. Add a little grated Gruyere.

Seriously so good. Pioneer Woman recommends adding creme fresh, or chopped bacon, or shrimp. I think tomatoes would be delicious, and then it would look all cute and Christmas-y. I think it was a great base that you could basically add whatever you think would sound good and it would be delicious. Let me know if you try it!! I wanna know if it turns out for you too!


No comments:

Post a Comment